This Android app will steal all your banking details
You have to be more cautious while doing financial transactions on your mobile phone. A new Android malware is targeting major banking apps. Name of the malware is Android.banker.A9840. This Android app will steal all your banking details. Moreover, This malware will target your cryptocurrency app too.
A warning has been issued by Antivirus giant QuickHeal, two days ago. This trojan app is targeting as many as 232 banking apps including many of the Indian banks. Android.banker.A9840 is known to be the latest trojan malware of the kind.
This malware is designed to steal everything related to your financial transactions like your OTP, SMS, banking id and password etc. Before we could deal with this new malware, a new one has appeared recently named as Android.banker.A2f8a which is reported to be more dangerous than its predecessor.
How does it work?
The modus operandi of the trojan app is quite similar to other viruses. It spreads through a specially crafted flash app from third-party app stores.
1. Once, this malware is installed on your mobile, it starts working in the background.
2. It will prompt you to provide administrative rights on the phone repeatedly until you agree
3. It will scan your phone and search for the banking and other financial apps, it is programmed to attack.
4. If it finds any of the apps, it shows a genuine looking fake notification message to the user
5. Once user opens the message, he is shown a fake login screen of the banking app and asked to enter id and password
6. If he doesn’t sense anything wrong and provides his id and password, the trojan collects it and send to its server. This is how the trojan Android.banker.A9840 works
Not only this, the trojan can find your location, check GPS information and read your SMS. The trojan can monitor all incoming and outgoing SMS. That means, even if an OTP is sent by the banking APP, the trojan app will be able to read it and enter into your real banking app. This malware is so intelligent that it can even mute your ringer to hide the incoming OTP messages from you.
Banking apps which are affected
Following are the some of the Banks which are affected by this deadly app:-
HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, SBI Bank, IDBI Bank, Bank Of Baroda, Union Bank
Other Apps – Airbnb, Amazon, eBay
While the world is still recovering from ransomware Petya, this malware will bring the focus back to IT security again. To protect your phone from malware Android.banker.A9840, never ever download and install any app from third-party play store. It is always recommended to disable the option to download app from the third party source.
- If you suspect your phone is infected. Switch off the phone immediately and restart it in emergency or safe mode to stop further damage.
- Go to settings and try to uninstall the malicious app. If you don’t find it in the downloaded applications, search in system apps instead. Uninstall any suspicious app.
- Install anti-malware tools like Quick Heal, Kaspersky, AVG or Avast. It is the possibility that the malware will not allow running the antivirus.
- If nothing else works, factory reset your mobile.